[Wien] Calculation fo difference of Fermi energies between tantalum and mercury telluride

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 10 08:27:18 CEST 2024

i) Your surface structures are all in P1 symmetry. This leads to a
10-100 times larger computational effort than necessary.
Remove ALL labels from the atoms in your struct files ("Ta1" --> "Ta ",
and so on), and use x nn or x sgroup to generate structures which
exploit symmetry.

ii) You said: " I find that the work function for Ta and HgTe are similar".
In order to calculate the work function you need the zero of energy, but
you said, you cannot determine it. I do not understand how you
calculated the work function.

iii) Your surface slabs can be set up with vacuum in the middle of the
cell (at z=0.5) or at the origin (z=0). Depending on that, you look in
case.scf at
:VZERO    at v0   or   v5  (coulomb potantial, should be a positive number).
This number is your "reference energy" and the work function follows as
difference between EF and vzero. This also gives you EF on an absolute
scale.
PS: Make sure, your vacuum is thick enough, maybe do 2 calculations with
different vacuum and compare the results.