[Wien] magnetizatin direction in case.inso vs case.inst

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sun Oct 13 12:35:37 CEST 2024

Dear Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for very quick answer!

I understand that once I set the magnetization to [001] in case.inso,
then the majority-spin will be aligned along [001].

This means that when I use instgen_lapw, every local moment that I set
to "up" will be initially aligned along [001], and every local moment
that I set to "dn" will be aligned along [00-1].

I understand that this initial configuration can change over the SCF
cycles, but one can monitor this using "grep :MM case.scf".

I understand that the orbital moment is just a consequence of the above
settings.

I have two follow-up questions:

- Is the direction of the majority/minority spin in instgen_lapw
arbitrary? This would mean swapping all up/dn there would also
effectively swap the directions of local moments along the M direction
set in case.inso

- How is the orbital moment calculated?

Best,
Lukasz

PS: Some output of my converged calculation below. Sphere 1 is "up",
sphere 2 is "dn", other spheres are non-magnetic. Orbital moment seems
quite significant.

grep :MM case.scf
:MMINT:  MAGNETIC MOMENT IN INTERSTITIAL  =    0.69969
:MMI001: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   1    =    5.16649
:MMI002: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   2    =   -2.41664
:MMI003: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   3    =    0.10539
:MMI004: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   4    =    0.10587
:MMI005: MAGNETIC MOMENT IN SPHERE   5    =    0.11216
:MMTOT:  SPIN MAGNETIC MOMENT IN CELL     =   -7.98682

grep :ORB case.scf
:ORB001:  ORBITAL MOMENT:  0.00000  0.00000  1.62857 PROJECTION ON M
1.62857