[Wien] Differences in band character plotting using two methods under rotated local basis

Peter Blaha peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 14 09:19:23 CEST 2024

Hi,

First of all, the method using   x qtl   is the method of choice,
although I admit that I would have thought that   x lapw2 with modified
rot.loc. should give identical results. I would need to test myself.

Second: Are you using the latest version ?

Your sequence :
 > x lapw1 -p -band
 > x lapwso -p
 > x lapw2 -p -so -band -qtl (on the unmodified highest symmetry loc rot
 > matrix)
 > x qtl -p -so -band (which rewrites case.qtl based on the axes in
case.inq)

is correct and also the   x qtl step has the proper   -band switch.
This should direct the "hidden"  x lapw2 -fermi step also to have -band
included and thus it should not produce an error.

Could you please check   :log

You should see the sequence of these calculations including the relevant
switches.  Please check if your   lapw2  -fermi  step has the -band
option propagated.

Best regards
Peter Blaha

Am 14.10.2024 um 07:46 schrieb Yichen Zhang:
> [...]
> To get the band character plot from this case.inq file, I couldn't find
> very detailed documentation. The way I attempted was after SOC converged
> SCF, I ran
> x lapw1 -p -band
> x lapwso -p
> x lapw2 -p -so -band -qtl (on the unmodified highest symmetry loc rot
> matrix)
> x qtl -p -so -band (which rewrites case.qtl based on the axes in case.inq)
> Due to running band structure after SCF and the lapw2 -fermi included in
> x qtl, it would report a FERMI error saying number of k points
> inconsistent when reading kgen and asking to check IN1 and KGEN files.
> This issue has been discussed before in the mailing list due to running
> band structure before x qtl. Despite the error in lapw2, qtl finished
> successfully and provided an updated qtl file from the qtl programme.
>
> Therefore, my first question is: is there a way to avoid this error in
> using qtl for band character calculation? If I hadn't done lapw1 for
> band structure, qtl would tend to use the SCF klist which is not the
> band structure path I wanted from klist_band. However, to have qtl
> running along klist_band, the lapw2 -fermi error becomes inevitable due
> to getting eigenenergies and eigenvectors of the band structure klist
> first? For now, I cannot find a way to avoid this error under the
> current implemented workflow of  "x qtl". Is there a better way to do this?
>
> My second question is: when I compare the results from the two methods,
> they are different. The qtl results seem to be more consistent with
> ARPES observation of px and py orbitals under different light
> polarization. In this qtl with symmetrization=0 (as used above), one
> diagonal is pure px and the other diagonal is pure py. This is what we
> expected from the isolated local layer. (Certainly, symmetrization=1 in
> the case.inq would destroy this result). While for the method 1) of
> directly modifying the loc rot matrix in case.struct, the results still
> show certain px and py imbalances between two diagonals, but with much
> mixing. So why are they different? Does x lapw2 -band -qtl have some
> sort of symmetrization that mixes the 45 deg rotated x and y axes? I
> briefly looked into the code but only found symmetrization programme
> used in lapw2 for spin-polarized calculation, which is irrelevant here.
>
> Just for clarity, considering the whole crystal, the two diagonals are
> equivalent. I projected the orbitals to a 45 deg off basis just to see
> the local orbital texture as the local layer is rotated 45 deg.
> Therefore, when one goes from one diagonal to the other, px naturally
> becomes py in the 45 rotated xy basis. That's why x qtl results with
> clean-cut px py projections seem more natural to me, but results from x
> lapw2 under modified loc rot matrix in the case.struct file seem a bit
> confusing to me.
>
> Looking forward to hearing comments and to finding out if I have done

Peter Blaha,  Inst. f. Materials Chemistry, TU Vienna, A-1060 Vienna
Phone: +43-158801165300
Email: peter.blaha at tuwien.ac.at
WWW:   http://www.imc.tuwien.ac.at      WIEN2k: http://www.wien2k.at