[Wien] spin + SOC slab issue

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Sat Oct 19 11:20:59 CEST 2024

Dear Prof. Blaha, dear All,

My sequence is:

instgen_lapw -ask
init_lapw -sp -b (-prec 1 -ecut 0.999)

Converge without SOC runsp -I (-ec 0.0001 -cc 0.001), save_lapw

init_so_lapw with M=001

Converge calculation with SOC, runsp -p -NI -so (-ec 0.0001 -cc 0.001),
save_lapw

At this point one can do another init_so_lapw (symmetso it included in
there) and set M=00-1, and rerun runsp -p -NI -so. However, this
produces something that is not right, eigenvalues at Gamma are different
compared to the M=001.

What works is to re-start from the saved non-SOC calculation. Restore
non-SOC calculation (maybe in a new folder), do init_so_lapw with
M=00-1, and runsp -orb -p -NI -so. Then the eigenvalues at Gamma are the
same as in the M001 calculation and things look reasonable.

All this seems to imply that one should not change the direction of M on
top of previous SOC calculation.

Best,
Lukasz