[Wien] Order of equivalent positions in case.struct

pluto pluto at physics.ucdavis.edu
Mon Sep 2 14:59:50 CEST 2024

Hello Gerhard, Prof. Blaha,

Thank you for your comments.

I think equivalent atoms are always connected by symmetry operations.

Probably the easiest case is 2H WSe2 (or MoS2 etc.). Unit cell has two
layers. One can sit at one of the K points, and then spin polarizations
in subsequent layers are opposite. This is the "hidden spin
polarization" of Zunger et al.

For bulk 2H WSe2 WIEN2k will make a case.struct file with 2 atoms (4
equivalent positions for Se and 2 equivalent positions for W).

I believe QTL will take the first of the equivalent positions and
provide properties inside the MT. In Wse2 one will get large spin
polarization when looking at band characters with QTL.

Regular "x lapw2 -band -qtl" will average over all the equivalent
positions, and one will get zero spin polarization. In order to get spin
polarization with "x lapw2 -band -qtl", one needs to disconnect (split)
atoms in case.struct. This will result in much bigger calculation. Not a
problem for bulk WSe2, but very expensive for a big slab.

Of course, since equivalent atoms are connected by symmetries, one can
find out these symmetries and then apply them to the properties such as
spin or Ylm. But this may lead to some trivial mistakes, this is why I
prefer to have the first equivalent atom on the same side of the slab
(recently I do big slabs).

Best,
Lukasz