[Wien] question about parallel run

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Aug 1 11:51:10 CEST 2003

> Another question: Why is the .machines file like
>
> granularity:1
> 1:linux4gb:2
> 1:linux3gb:2
> 1:linux2gb:2
> 1:linux1gb:2
>
> is not running? I thought I am not using MPI but the error message is:

Guess: omit the :2 and list dual-cpu machine twice:

1:linux4gb
1:linux4gb
1:linux3gb
1:linux3gb
1:linux2gb
1:linux2gb
1:linux1gb
1:linux1gb
granularity:1

Good guess!  The lines in your .machines-file correspond to jobs, not to machines.  So for each line, a job will be started, with the weight specified at the beginning of the line, and the number of processors specified at the end of the line (1 by default).

1:a:2  means : start a job with weight 1 on machine a using two processors of machine a

while

1:a:1
1:a:1

means : start a job using one processor of machine a, then start another job using one processor of machine a.

which is what you want.

Kevin.