[Wien] ELNES: q orientation

Bertoni Giovanni giovanni at cemes.fr
Tue Dec 2 13:57:03 CET 2003

Thanks Kevin!

so if I understood, the crystal basis I have to referred the Euler
angles in ELNES is the CONVENTIONAL crystal basis (a,b,c and mutually
orthogonals...) is it true?
The definition of Euler angles itself need cartesian coordinates I
think...
Best regards
Giovanni

Jorissen Kevin a écrit :

> Hi Giovanni,
>
> you definitely need option H (not F).  Just keep Thetabragg = 0 ; it's a special option which is rarely used.  If you want k0 and k to be parallel, put ThetaX and ThetaY to zero.  These two angles control the orientation of k with respect to k0.
> The Euler angles define the orientation of the beam with respect to the crystal.  They are indeed defined for a transformation between two carthesian bases (the Bravais matrix is used internally by the telnes program) : the laboratory (== beam) basis, and a carthesian crystal basis (with its z axis parallel to the c basis vector of the crystal lattice).  So, to hit your sample along the c-direction, you would use Euler angles 0,0,0.  To put the beam in the a,b - plane, you could use 0,90,0.
>

> kind regards,
> Kevin.
> EMAT
> University of Antwerp, Belgium.

Giovanni BERTONI
CEMES/CNRS - 29 Rue J. Marvig - BP 4347
31055 Toulouse Cedex 4 - FRANCE
Tél: 33 (0)5 62 25 78 22 - Fax: 33 (0)5 62 25 79 99
e-mail: giovanni at cemes.fr
http://www.cemes.fr