[Wien] Constructing lattice harmonics from "real" spherical harmonics

Gus Hart gus.hart at NAU.EDU
Tue Jul 1 03:04:04 CEST 2003

Dear WIEN users,

I would like to construct a lattice harmonic expansion for different point
groups. In other words, I would like to expand a function f(theta,phi) in
spherical harmonics, throwing away those terms that are zero by symmetry.

In principle this is easily done since it has already been done in the WIEN
code (for the 32 crystallographic point groups) and tables are given in the
user's guide (see 7.5.3, Tables 7.38 and 7.38). In these tables the
non-zero "el-em" combinations are given. The caveat is that these
correspond to Kara & Kurki-Suonio's "real" spherical harmonics, Y_lm+ and
Y_lm-, which are defined as (see WIEN 1999 digest):

for M=2n (even):
Y_lm+ = 1/sqrt2 (Y_lm +
Y_l-m)
Y_lm- = -i/sqrt2 (Y_lm -
Y_l-m)

for M=2n+1 (odd):
Y_lm+ = -1/sqrt2 (Y_lm -
Y_l-m)
Y_lm- = i/sqrt2 (Y_lm +
Y_l-m)

So following the tables in the user's guide, the el=4 lattice harmonic for
full cubic symmetry (point group m3m) is constructed by using Y_40+ &
Y_44+. But a simple addition of these two terms does not work--for the
resultant "lattice harmonic" (K4) to have cubic symmetry, they must be
added as K4 = a*Y_40 + b*Y_44, where the ratio a/b must be sqrt(7/5). (I
figured this out by trial and error but it can be verified by referring to
table 1 in Altmann and Bradley's 1965 article in Rev. Mod. Phy.). The el=6
cubic harmonic is similar--K6=a*Y_60+b*Y_64 where the ratio a/b is  -sqrt(1/7).

My question is simply this, using the tables in the user's guide to
construct lattice harmonics, how can one find how much of each term to
include? That is, how does one find the values, generally, for the
coefficients a and b above? I tried to read the Kara & Kurki-Suonio paper
to figure this out but I couldn't figure it out from there. Presumably
everything I want to know is also contained in the 1965 two-part Rev. Mod.
Phy. article by Altmann and Bradley, but I don't know enough group theory
to glean out what I need.

Thanks for your help,
-Gus H.

Gus Hart   (Rm. 312)