[Wien] mkl + debian

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Tue Jul 1 06:04:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:23 am, Kevin Jorissen wrote:
> I just downloaded the latest mkl, and it didn't contain any .rpm-file, but
> the install-script install.sh does use rpm, which I don't have on my debian
> machine.

I think the rpm is "hidden" inside one of the binaries. Debian woody comes
with rpm. So, provided your /etc/apt/sources.list is up to date and valid,
you just need to

# apt-get install rpm

(Otherwise just download and manually install the rpm deb from wherever you
get your debs.)

But don't use rpm for normal rpm packages because dpkg and rpm may overwrite
each other's installs and make a mess of your system. Alien is the
recommended tool for importing rpm's (but I never used it). The intel
pseudo-rpms should be fine (because all they do is create some files in
/opt/intel), but for e.g. installing KDE from redhat rpms would probably end
in disaster.

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering