[Wien] mkl + debian

Li Wang lwang at hrc.toyama-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 1 08:33:55 CEST 2003

Steven Homolya wrote:

>On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:23 am, Kevin Jorissen wrote:
>

>>I just downloaded the latest mkl, and it didn't contain any .rpm-file, but
>>the install-script install.sh does use rpm, which I don't have on my debian
>>machine.
>>

>I think the rpm is "hidden" inside one of the binaries. Debian woody comes
>with rpm. So, provided your /etc/apt/sources.list is up to date and valid,
>you just need to
>
># apt-get install rpm
>
>(Otherwise just download and manually install the rpm deb from wherever you
>get your debs.)
>
>But don't use rpm for normal rpm packages because dpkg and rpm may overwrite
>each other's installs and make a mess of your system. Alien is the
>recommended tool for importing rpm's (but I never used it). The intel
>pseudo-rpms should be fine (because all they do is create some files in
>/opt/intel), but for e.g. installing KDE from redhat rpms would probably end
>in disaster.

Intel's compiler and math library are not open source packages.
I also have not found their deb packages.

The rpm package  cab be converted to deb packages or targz ones by some
tools.

rpm2cpio+cpio,
alien (alien -d [or -t] test.rpm )

However, it is possible that there is something wrong with the installed
packages by using the method mentioned above.