[Wien] parallel calc. without NFS

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Wed Jul 9 11:13:43 CEST 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Stefaan Cottenier wrote:

> What do you use as $SCRATCH ?  If that is a directory that exists locally on
> every node (e.g. /tmp ), then the large scratch files do not need to go over
> the network, which reduces wien-traffic significantly.

Local jobspace is allocated dynamically by the PBS and each node has its
own jobspace and path (accesible only to processes that are part of the
job and are running on that node), so there is no good choice for SCRATCH.
Besides, reading/writing large chunks of data are not a problem. It's
"trickly" I/O that many of the scripts are doing (eg. sed, awk) that are
causing the problems. Things like writing a large array one element at a
time, or reading a file line by line.

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering