[Wien] Re: Jumps in energy

Steven Homolya Steven.Homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Thu Jul 17 15:25:07 CEST 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Lyudmila Dobysheva wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> Have you find a reason of the sudden jumps in energy about which you
> complained in June? I haven't seen a continuation in your letters after
> the letter of P.Blaha when he suggested you to send him the scf and other
> files. What was the end of this thrilling problem?  I have met similar
> behavior and now try to understand it.

Yes, we have found the (most likely) cause. It was the network file system
(NFS) choking. Some output files were not complete because the NFS would
hang on some of the wien2k I/O. I have run a number of (10+) large
calculations since using local filesystems only and have not encountered
the problem.

If you're using one of the parallel versions of wien** and are using NFS,
you might be having the same problem.

Steve

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering