[Wien] Spin-orbital interaction

yanming Ma ymma66 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 17:01:51 CEST 2003

Dear Wien Users,

I do not have any experience with the spin-orbital calculation. In my materials which include heavy elements, such as 5d transition metal elements, spin-orbital interaction may play an important role. I do not need spin-polarized calcuation for these non-magnetic materials. Now I try to calculate the bandstructure for thest materials. but I am not clear on the procedure. I try to calculate using the following procedure.
For SCF run, I use " run_lapw -so -ec 0.0001"
Then to calculate the bandstructure, I run
"x lapw1 -so -band"
"x lapw2 -so -band -qtl"
"x spaghetti -so"

But the calculated bandstructure is wrong.
Any comments on the procedure I decribe above? (I know very well on how to calculate the bandstructure without spin-orbital interaction)

Yanming