[Wien] Re: [WIEN]: bug in parallel script

Stefaan Cottenier Stefaan.Cottenier at fys.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon Jun 16 18:01:05 CEST 2003

> ====
> Peter Blaha <pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at>
> submitted the following contribution:
> ====
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature, although one can discuss what is more
> common.
>
> Suppose you want to combine a P-IV with an Athlon (or even with a
> DEC-Alpha!!!), than you MUST have different WIENROOTS for the two
> computersi, since of course you want to use the P-IV executable on one
> machine, but the DEC-alpha executable on the other. The present version
> works for this case.

Here is something I cannot follow. If an Athlon and P-IV are in the same
NFS, then also the .cshrc they use is the same, and so is the WIENROOT !? Or
do you mean that in such cases the .cshrc has to assign the value of
WIENROOT depending on the detected machine name ?

> Of course, your case is different. You have 2 WIEN installations, one is
> in $WIENROOT, but you want to use the other one. Most other WIEN
> scripts use the $bin/executables and not necessarily the one of
> $WIENROOT", so you simply call the first WIEN-command with the full path
> and from then on use those executables.
>
> However, we think having 2 WIEN versions on one computer is not for the
> "regular" user, and finaqlly we decided to use the present version.

OK, I see the problem and understand your choice. However, it leads to an
undesirable dissimilar behaviour between run_lapw and run_lapw -p : if a
full path (different from $WIENROOT) is specified, then run_lapw will use
for every subprogram the version of that path, while run_lapw -p will use
the version in $WIENROOT. And therefore run_lapw -p is not just "run_lapw
executed in parallel"...

Stefaan