[Wien] Optics with spin-orbit interaction

Vidya Ravindran vidya.ravindran at kjemi.uio.no
Mon Jun 30 14:21:29 CEST 2003

Dear WIEN-users,

	I am trying to calculate optical properties of a ferromagnetic
system using WIEN2k_03 (Release 18/01/2003). I start with Fe as a test
case. When I do calculation without SO, the Epsilon_2 spectra for up-spin
and down-spin are different.

	However when I include SO, both *.outputjointup and
*.outputjointdn are exactly the same. I am getting the same plasma
frequency for up and down-spin. I will try to describe the procedure that
I followed:

1. I did the calculations upto self-consistency.
2. Incresed the k-mesh.
3. Replaced TOT by FERMI in the 1st line and TETRA by ROOT in 3rd line
   of *.in2c
4. runsp_lapw -so -s lapw1 -e lcore ; to get FERMI weights
5. x opticc -so (-up/-dn) and
6. x joint (-up/-dn)

	I believe that the above-mentioned procedure is correct. I am
unable to understand why I am getting same spectra for up and down spins.
Herewith I have attached *.inso, *.inop and *.injoint files. Could you
kindly look into those files and tell me why I am getting the
same Epsilon_2 spectra for both spin channels?

	Thanking you in advance,

With Regards,
R. Vidya.

R. Vidya, Ph.D student,                 |
Department of Chemistry                 |Tel: +47 228 55606
University of Oslo, PO Box 1033         |Fax: +47 228 55441/5565
Blindern, N-0315 OSLO, NORWAY           |
Email: ravindran.vidya at kjemi.uio.no     |