[Wien] running tasks remotely

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Nov 21 15:12:41 CET 2003

Hi,
this is just a report, not a question; it may be useful for people who are, like us, running several calculations at once on a cluster with many nodes, and sometimes see that their server (doing all the dstart, lapw0, mixer, ...) becomes a bottleneck and slows everyone down  (although probably people with such a cluster are able to sort things out for themselves).
I reprogrammed some of the wien scripts(x, lapw2para ...), allowing many time consuming single node tasks (such as lapw0, dstart, lapw2 -qtl, ... ) to be launched remotely on a node in a similar way as is done for lapw1 and lapw2 (though, obviously, I did not *parallellize* anything).  Of course you can always launch them remotely by hand; but now I can do it just by specifying the remote machine in .machines and by calling them through 'x program -p'.

Again, this is rather straightforward and not a 'major accomplishment'; but it might be useful for people who see their calculations slowed down by a server burdened by lapw2 -qtl 's, like we experienced.
If anyone else did similar things in a different way, I will be, as always, interested to listen to your experiences :-).

Kevin.