[Wien] running tasks remotely

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 21 16:14:45 CET 2003

> this is just a report, not a question; it may be useful for people who are, like us, running several calculations at once on a cluster with many nodes, and sometimes see that their server (doing all the dstart, lapw0, mixer, ...) becomes a bottleneck and slows everyone down  (although probably people with such a cluster are able to sort things out for themselves).
> I reprogrammed some of the wien scripts(x, lapw2para ...), allowing many time consuming single node tasks (such as lapw0, dstart, lapw2 -qtl, ... ) to be launched remotely on a node in a similar way as is done for lapw1 and lapw2 (though, obviously, I did not *parallellize* anything).  Of course you can always launch them remotely by hand; but now I can do it just by specifying the remote machine in .machines and by calling them through 'x program -p'.

This procedure works of course only, when all those nodes have common NFS.

For this I have a simple solutions:

rsh hostxx "cd $PWD; x dstart"

Now this might be to much typing, so I have an alias to all my hosts in my
.cshrc file:

alias hostxx 'rsh hostxx "cd $PWD; $*" '

and simply say:     hostxx x dstart

Good luck