[Wien] forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Aug 23 20:09:55 CEST 2004

Of course not.  There are no binaries optimized for all systems.
I remember testing (about a year ago, and using ifc6 for compilation, I think) mkl against the generic libraries in $WIENROOT/SRC_lib, and getting a difference in speed of about a factor of 3.

If you are going to use WIEN2k a lot, or do very heavy calculations, it is recommended to spend some time finding out which compilers and libraries are available for your hardware and OS, checking them, and optimizing compiler/linker flags (optimization, processor specific targetting, ...).
I would recommend the precompiled executables only for people for whom it doesn't pay off to spend time in optimizing their installation of WIEN2k, or for checking your own configuration (as you are doing).

The WIEN ML archives contain much valuable information on wien configuration on many different types of computers.

Kevin.