[Wien] core leakage

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Mon Aug 23 20:19:51 CEST 2004

The atom mentioned below apparently has two core orbitals (i.e., orbitals having eigen energy below the -6.0 Ry or whatever you specified).  So, there are two core electrons, and that's what the '2' refers to.
Of these 2 e charge, 1.972 is contained in the muffin tin radius, which means you miss about 0.027 - that's the fraction of the core charge outside the muffin tin.
These circumstances will lead to orthogonality problems (I think the Singh booklet contains some explanation, should you care for it) and may well  make your calculations worthless.  You need to decrease the core charge leakage by at least a factor of ten (I'd prefer a hundred) before you go to self consistent calculation.
Change the muffin tin radius or the core/valence separation energy.
The users guide and the FAQ pages at www.wien2k.at will help you do this.

Kevin.