[Wien] binding energies

fecher fecher at mail.uni-mainz.de
Thu Dec 16 12:44:10 CET 2004

The answer is simple, XPS does not measure the ground state binding energies.

This is not just the problem of the N to N-1 electron transition alone (in the
sense of calculating just the two cases, ground and excited), but will also
depend , to say in not too physical words, on "secondary" effects some known
as "multiplett" effects, some as "shake up",  "shake down", etc. as found in
textbooks of corelevel photoemission (see.: e.g. reviewing articles by Chuck
S. Fadley and others). The results of calculations may strongly depend
whether one uses sudden approximation or adiabatic approximation.
Calculational results may also strongly depend how sorrowly the transition
matrix elements are calculated.

With FEFF, the result will depend which potential you use and this is most
probably not the same like the one from Wien2k, so it is no wonder that the
energies and trends will be different.

The problem of comparing calculated and measured photoemission spectra is, to
my knowledge, not completely attacked for the most general case, as this is a
very complicated many-body problem. However, FEFF seems to be a very advanced
one.

Ciao Gerhard