[Wien] binding energies

Gilles Hug Gilles.Hug at onera.fr
Thu Dec 16 22:18:47 CET 2004

Hi,
I quite fully agree with Gerhard.
Just a few more words for completeness.
When I calculated excitation energy for a 1s electron (for X-rat
absorption for example) I would make the difference in total energy
between ground state and a "static" excited state. This would a kind of
first order approximation. Then Wien gives a very good answer, say within
5-10 eV. You mignt not be happy with it but considering it is a difference
between two very large numbers, the accuracy is not so bad.
On the other side FEFF is a kind of GW formalism which goes beyond ground
state. However, although it has a built in fully relaxed core hole
approximation, it is NOT a "full potential". It is meant to
calculate the
shape of the fine structure, their intensities and relative energy
positions but NOT their absolute positions. The
absolute position is calculated from a purely atomic calculation. Therfore
it is usual to shift by a few eV or so the
position of the spectral features. This is not harmfull and is documented
in FEFF's UG (I think).
So beware that you may have "accidental" good match. It will not be always
the same.
(Un?)fortunately, as Gerhard said, their is still some work ahead for
theorists...
Joyeux Noel
Gilles