[Wien] binding energies

Faisal M. Alamgir falamgir at hunter.cuny.edu
Fri Dec 17 20:47:22 CET 2004

Hi Vicki and Gilles (long time no speak),

I would like to make a couple of minor points.

The energies excitation reported by FEFF8 are not reliable in and of
themselves.  Instead you are encouraged to play around with the Vr
parameter to add or subtract to the core potential until you get the
best fit with experimental near-edge spectra.  As Gilles pointed out,
FEFF8 does not calculate the full potential like WIEN does, but has a
soft pseudopotential.

Also, absolute final-state energies are difficult to calculate by WIEN,
but trends (eg.compositionally driven energy shifts) may be easier to
match with experiment.

A lot of things could be happening to give you wrong trends in the
binding energy, so I would suggest first finding out whether WIEN or
FEFF is doing a better job in simulating valence band structure
(assuming you have the XPS valence band data).  [In FEFF you could add
all the LDOS below Fermi energy to "simulate" the XPS valence band] Then
the core level shift trends can be  tweaked fine tuning the model.

I hope some of these points are useful.

Take care,

Faisal