[Wien] total energy of N2, O2, and F2

Gilles Hug gilles.hug at onera.fr
Tue Jan 13 10:55:22 CET 2004

Hi xn22,
Did you have any follow up on that topic?

I found 1.10236 Angst. for the equilibrium distance and -219.054734 Ryd
for the energy of the N2 molecule.

I have used a tetragonal unit cell (#123 P4/m m m)  with one
in-equivalent atom in (0, 0, z). The molecule is build by the mirror.
Then I can vary the bond length (with z). The size of the unit cell was
10.3463 bohr. It might be useful to increase a bit the UC but I have
not tried.
I don't know of using fcc and what would be the benefit.

However, RKM *does* make a difference.
In a first run I had :
:RKM  : MATRIX SIZE 4955LOs:  10  RKM= 6.37  WEIGHT= 1.00  PGR:
:ENE  : *WARNING** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =         -219.047104

Then you need to recompile Wien2k, the second run gave :
:RKM  : MATRIX SIZE 6413LOs:  10  RKM= 6.98  WEIGHT= 1.00  PGR:
:ENE  : ********** TOTAL ENERGY IN Ry =         -219.050815

So with 3.66 as in your case is certainly *not* enough.

I think, it does not make too much sense to use the experimental
equilibrium distance. DFT-GGA give a slightly to big equilibrium
volume, but it is ok. If you want to compare to other structures all
have to be in fundamental state. I think it is more consistent that
way.

Best,
Gilles