[Wien] Segmentation Fault in lapw0

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Tue Jul 6 08:54:13 CEST 2004

Dear Sam,

the problem is probably with your shell settings.

in bash, you need to put (in the file where you defined WIENROOT -
.profile or .bash_profile, probably): ulimit -s unlimited

in tcsh, you need to put (in .cshrc or .tcshrc - wherever WIENROOT is
set): limit stacksize unlimited

If this doesn't help (log out and log in again for the settings to take
proper effect), you can try to recompile with "-O0"
(minus-the.letter.O-zero).

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

Sam Leitch wrote:
> So far, I've only used the recommended options for linuxifc (save fixing
> the library information)
>
>   Current settings:
>     O   Compiler options:        -FR -mp -w
>     L   Linker Flags:            -L../SRC_lib -L/opt/intel/mkl70/lib/32
> -Vaxlib -static
>     P   Preprocessor flags       '-DParallel'
>     R   R_LIB (LAPACK+BLAS):     -lmkl_lapack -lmkl_ia32 -lguide -lpthread
>
> I've also tried using the -static option, since I've read that it can
> cause problems.
>
> I'm now looking for options that can keep SegFaults happening in large
> arrays.
>
> Fred Nastos wrote:
>
>>> In July 5, 2004 04:59 pm, Sam Leitch wrote:
>>> I keep getting a "Segmentation Fault" in lapw0
>>>
>>> I've compiled using intel fortran compiler 8.0 and mkl 7.0
>>> (I've tried mkl 6.1, and ifc 7.1, but ifc 7.1 won't work with libc2.3)
>>>

>> ifort (i.e. intel 8.0) uses a lot of stack space (for reasons we will
>> probabaly never know).  What compiler options did you use?
>> Try setting your stack size limit higher. To do this, if you are using
>> bash, type
>>     ulimit -s unlimited
>>
>> For more information, see
>> http://www.google.ca/search?q=ifort+segmentation

Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University
http://cmt.physik.uni-kl.de    http://www.physik.uni-kl.de/