[Wien] how to choose the values of U and J in LDA+U

Sherif Yehia wien542002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 10:39:18 CEST 2004

Dear Yushan

In UG 0.59 and 0.07 are for NiO so I caught this from
one of the  references " In the LDA+U U & J have no
rigorous definition in a solid. In an atom one way to
define U & J via the derivatives of the energy of the
atomic level with respect to their occupancies"
it depends d or f orbit (both are difficult so good
luck)
Please look at

V. I. Solovyev ,O Gunnarsson Phy. Rev. B34 7570
(1991).

working with WIEN2k_04 please be aware of the option
-orbdu this will take care of the cross term they
should be different than -orb. there is also "orbc"
which I still don't know how it work with orb in
LDA+U.

regards
Sherif