[Wien] q re: 'local coordinates' and px, py, pz

Cormac McGuinness Cormac.McGuinness at tcd.ie
Fri Jul 30 13:45:35 CEST 2004

In this instance the local rotation matrix given by WIEN2k for the
oxygen sites is the identity matrix.

I took it from the posting I referenced of Oct 2003 that WIEN2k uses
local coordinate systems as distinct from an additional rotation of
these coordinate systems by the local rotation matrix ?
In my case the Cu-O-Ti2 planes in the crystal structure are at 6
distinct angles with respect to each other so the global x,y,z (or even
a simple rotation of this) would mean something very different at each
of these equivalent sites with respect to the local positioning of the
single Cu and two Ti atoms.

I think my question remains as to how this local coordinate system for
the oxygen is oriented for point group m (C_s). Is x directed towards
the Cu atom, or is z directed toward the Cu atom ?

Perhaps I could poke around in the code but I wouldn't know where to
begin to look ?

Thanks
Cormac