[Wien] energy scale zero and average IS-potential

David Sedmidubsky david.sedmidubsky at itu.fzk.de
Tue Jun 22 14:31:50 CEST 2004

Dear WIEN2k users,
In Wien Archives I found that the energy scale for DOS and Ef should be
referred to the average potential in the interstitial region which
defines the zero energy. If it is a volume average, it should be equal
to V(Gama) component of the potential Fourier expansion given in
case.vtotal. Thus I would expect that I can get the work function by
taking V(Gama) and adding Ef to it. For metal aluminium I get
V(Gama)=-0.708 Ry and Ef=0.538 Ry, resulting in a work function 2.31 eV
compared to experimental 4.28 eV. Even worse, for most actinide
compounds I calculated, Ef would lie above vacuum level (provided
potential is referred to that level).
Can anybody explain me where is the problem?
Thank you!
With best regards,
David

David Sedmidubsky