[Wien] Re: about the question of symmetry in antiferromagnetic CoO

Steven Homolya steven.homolya at spme.monash.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 13:02:40 CET 2004

DX,

I looked at your struct files, and it seems that you have a nice little
body-centred tetragonal unit cell with two inequivalent atoms. The 64 atom
struct file is just plain silly, unless you want to replace one of the atoms
with a defect/vacancy. The monoclinic structure is also unnecessary, since
you obviously have tetragonal symmetry there.

To get a proper struct file just put the 2 (4) atoms where they are supposed
to go in a tetragonal lattice, using w2web with the correct spacegroup (or
using a hand-made struct file).

PS. I did not check your struct files with wien2k. Note that you need high
numerical precision in your struct file for symmetry/sgroup to work.

--
Steven Homolya
School of Physics and Materials Engineering