[Wien] ELNES (tetra error)

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Wed May 5 19:40:44 CEST 2004

Hi Giovanni,
I'll send the script to the ML, so everybody can remind me if I forget about it again ;-)

I always use a really full k-mesh (so not including inversion symmetry).  For H formula, the cross section is calculated using 'cross-density of states'; ie, where normal DOS is like the square of a particular lm component of the wave function, this will be the product of an lm and a l'm' component.  Such a product does not necessarily have the full symmetry that the regular DOS has.  I suspect that in many cases one can actually retain some symmetry, but finding out which ones is probably more work than just running on a full k-mesh.  Remember, this is necessary only once after you have achieved SCF convergence (since these cross terms are not necessary to calculate the electron density).
I use a mesh without inversion symmetry, but am not sure that including inversion symmetry should necessarily yield wrong results.
If Peter has any remarks to this, I'd love to hear them.

The tetra error you get is a little strange.  Tetra *doesn't* work differently because some symmetry is not there (unlike eg lapw1), only some arrays will become twice as big now.  Did you check with a smaller full mesh?  (tetra can get quite big if you run it with lxdos=3 for large k-meshes, though this may surprise 'regular users').

Sorry I don't have any other ideas for your tetra error at this time.

Kevin.