[Wien] processor cache / memory bus speed

wiener at arcscluster.caltech.edu wiener at arcscluster.caltech.edu
Thu May 27 23:13:01 CEST 2004

Dear Wien2k users,

We are currently looking into renewing our Linux beowulf cluster to run
more Wien2k calculations. We would use Wien2k on cells containing up to 32
atoms (transition metal alloys), and are interested in calculating
the relaxation of atomic positions around impurities, as well as
force-constants and elastic constants.

We are currently thinking of going with P4-3GHz machines (about 10 of
those) with 1-2GB memory each and 100mb ethernet, but any suggestions are
welcome.
One of the questions we have in choosing our hardware is how much
processor cache does the code use? Does Wien2k benefit from having a large
processor cache of 1-2MB or is 512k sufficient? what is the speedup?
Also, has anyone done studies of the importance of memory bus speed?

Thanks in advance and regards,
Olivier.