[Wien] local rotation matrice

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 4 23:33:34 CET 2004

I'm not sure I understand your question. I can define my basis set in any
set of coordinate system I like. We choose it such that the highest
symmetry is along z.
All directional quantities like partial charges are with respect to this
local coordinate system. So it can well be that a p-p sigma bond is formed
by a py and pz orbital,....
Just draw a picture of the unit cell and draw the local coordinate system
for each atom in this picture. Then you know where a px orbital points.
(Note: you must consider the first atom of a set of equivalent ones! Other
equivalent atoms can have a rotated loc.rot depending on the symm.op which
transforms these atoms into each other.

Of course when we do some internal calculation across the spheres, we
rotate the coordinate systems properly.... (hopefully!)