[Wien] otimization of V

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Nov 5 14:29:03 CET 2004

First of all, for all novices (in fact, for everybody) I highly recommend reading Stefaan Cottenier's introduction to (l)APW, which can be downloaded from the wien2k web page.

1.  gmin is not input; it is simply given by two times the plane wave cutoff k-max (the kmax in rkmax).  The motivation is simply this : if we describe the wave function by plane waves up to exp (i kmax r), and the density by pw's up to exp (i gmax r), then, since density is wave function squared, it is reasonable to demand that gmax >= 2 * kmax.
gmax *is* input; it determines the number of plane waves used for expanding the density and potential (wien uses two basis sets : one for the basis functions, and another one for density and potential).    The time of the calculation increases for increasing gmax, but only mildly (certainly a lot milder than for increasing rkmax!)
2/  Be assured : the kgen program (which generates k-mesh) knows perfectly well what kind of structure you are using.
3/  Apparently your density is a little 'complicated' and is not well described by gmax = 14 only ...  Improving the description of the density improved your results ...  What exactly is your question?

4/  Read Stefaan's guide ...

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics