[Wien] Re: DOS Problems and tetra using intel ifc8.1 -r8 option

Jorissen Kevin Kevin.Jorissen at ua.ac.be
Fri Nov 5 14:47:24 CET 2004

Thanks for fixing the wrong use of the arrays.

** Personally, I feel it would be simplest to have all of wien in real*8.  But what are memory requirements?  The biggest array in the tetra program is FC, with dimension (number of bands) x (number of inequivalent k-points) x (number of DOS to calculate).

Typically, this last number is of the order 10, and very complicated cells with many bands are usually large and don't require too many k-points.
In the very worst case, I would have a system with many bands (say 2000, a reasonable value for NUME), I would need 273 dos cases (for H telnes), and would be using a large full k-mesh (say 1500 points).  Assuming y bytes per real, that means    y x 150 Mb, or 600 Mb for real*4 and 1200 Mb for real*8.
For the normal user, who only wants 10 dos components, that shrinks down to 20 Mb and 40 Mb.
Personally, I have never had such a large case.  But it's possible.

** Anyway, I believe Peter's main argument for not switching to real*8 is that the numbers in the qtl-file have only a few digits, and are therefore already accurately described by real*4; and any additional 'accuracy' would be a lie - it would basically boil down to extra zeroes ;-).

** We could be a little more efficient on memory use if we took mf=mg out of param.inc and replace it by nndos in the allocate statements.  A user who wants only total dos wasts a factor of 20 on memory with current settings (however, this amount of memory is still quite small).

Kevin Jorissen

EMAT - Electron Microscopy for Materials Science   (http://webhost.ua.ac.be/emat/)
Dept. of Physics

UA - Universiteit Antwerpen