[Wien] Once again about Ni non-magnetic bcc calculation

Lyudmila Dobysheva lyu at otf.pti.udm.ru
Wed Nov 24 11:25:14 CET 2004

By the way to the WIEN mailing list admin: I couldn't load the October archiv
with the first discussion on this theme, only few letters are there.

In a letter of 24 Nov. 2004 12:07 Dominik Legut wrote:

> Once again about Ni non-magnetic bcc calculation
> On October 26, we wrote about the discontinuity of calculated total energy
> as a function of volume for the bcc structure of non-magnetic Ni within the
> GGA.
> The results are as follows (Vexp corresponds to the fcc lattice constant of
> 6.651835 a.u. for fcc):

Was it, in fact, bcc or fcc? It doesn't matter, of course, but I see that if
it is fcc, with the constant given you had to change the Rmt somewhere in
your V-E curve, I assume that you did it in that place of discontinuity, (?).
If so: I thought that such jumps are not surprising, you cannot make the basis
for the new MT structure entirely equivalent to the old one.

> We performed tests where we changed the Gmax parameter to 14,16,18,24 and
> 30. However we have not succeeded to suppress the discontinuity by
> increasing the Gmax, as proposed by A. Postnikov in his letter:
> The position of discontinuity in the total energy occurs at certain volume
> that depends  on the values of RMT and RKmax parameters, nevertheless the
> value of Gmax and number of KPoints do not affect the position of
> discontinuity.

And what about the magnitude? Was it equal for all cases? Did you reach the
convergency of this jump with increasing the parameter Gmax and others?

Best regards,
  Lyudmila Dobysheva
Phys.-Techn. Institute of       | Tel.(home):   7 (3412) 442118
Ural Br. of Russian Ac. of Sci. | Tel.(office): 7 (3412) 218988
426001 Izhevsk, ul.Kirova 132   | Fax:          7 (3412) 250614
RUSSIA                          | E-mail: lyu at otf.fti.udmurtia.su