[Wien] How to prevent parallel runs ?

buero at luitz.at buero at luitz.at
Tue Nov 30 20:57:24 CET 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, fecher wrote:

> However, that was clear, but it still does not prevent that you start to jobs
> interactively, I think one of the perl scripts from w2web has to be changed,
> to deactivate the possibility of interactive or background runs.

Variant A (bad variant)
You could edit $WIENROOT/SRC_w2web/htdocs/exec/executor.pl to match
your needs (comment out lines the lines for interactice and batch
execution) but BE AWARE (!!!) that initialization (init_lapw) relies on
interactive execution, or

Variant B (slightly better)
Edit $WIENROOT/SRC_w2web/htdocs/exec/scf.pl and make sure that the
variable $exetypes (returned from function &ExeTypes()) contains only the
execution type you want to allow for execution of SCF cycles.
This is also not optimal because any experienced user can then use the
interactive commandline to fire up "run_lapw". BEWARE (!!!) Make sure that
each user has this execution type configured !!!

Variant C (not tested)
give your users a shell with a CPU limit of zero, when started
interactively: each user must start his/her w2web process which then
inherits this cpulimit and can thus not start anything useful. When the
shell is invoked non-interactively (e.g. by pbs) set the cpulimit to
unlimited. Et voila you should be where you want ,-) "SLIGHT" DRAWBACK:
users can also not start anything useful from this shell

Variant D (maybe best)
share a drink (preferably single malt whisky) with all your users and
discuss a reasonable "scheduler" which will be accepted by all. After a
few bottles they will agree, I tell you .... but: all your CPUs will
idle also

All the best
  Joachim

--
luitz.at - Interfacing Art, Science and Technology

Dipl.-Ing. Joachim Luitz KEG | Wohlmuthgasse 18 | A-3003 Gablitz
Tel.: +43 2231 61254 | Fax +43 2231 67443 | buero at luitz.at
http://www.luitz.at
callto://jluitz