[Wien] spin-orbit and forces

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Oct 16 09:36:31 CEST 2004

a) Be sure to use SO WITHOUT RLOs (EFGs are wrong with RLOs)
b) The core and Hellmann-Feinman contribution to the force just come from
the nonspherical V_1x(r) potential. So it is not too surprising that they
remain similar with and without SO (indicating that this non-spherical
component of rho (and V) does not change too much in this case).
c) Yes, I think forces with SO can really go "wild", in particular in your
case, where the IBS valence correction is also in the non-SO case very
big.