[Wien] missing electrons

Abir De Sarkar sarkar at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Sep 14 11:01:10 CEST 2004

Dear Professor Peter Blaha,

I had experienced the problem of "missing electrons" and therefore, I
have generated the density of states (DOS) by broadening the eigenvalues
(available from the case.output1 file) by a gaussian. (i.e.  I have
scrupulously worked on the algorithm that you had suggested sometime
back  to generate the DOS.)  Now, I miss only 2 electrons in the 4-sigma
state of CO (i.e. the integration of DOS over the 4-sigma peak yields 2
instead of 4.) 4 electrons are expected  in this state due to the
presence of 2 CO molecules in the structure file.

The case.outputt file confirms the presence of 4 electrons in the
4-sigma state in its column for the integrated DOS. So, it becomes
apparent that WIEN prints the eigenvalues in the case.output1 file only
once even if they actually occur more than once. It could  be possible
that WIEN stores such a degeneracy internally.
I have been trying hard to ascertain it by probing into the source
files, however, till now, my efforts are in vain.
Could you please help me out in this regard.

Thanks a lot in anticipation.

Best Regards,
Abir

Dr. Abir De Sarkar
Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft,
Abteilung Theorie (Theory Department), Office : T 1.03
Faradayweg 4-6, D-14195 Berlin (Germany)
             (http://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/th)
e-mail : sarkar at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
PHONE: +49 30 8413 4852          FAX: +49 30 8413 4701
WWW : http://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/th/member/desarkar_a.html
      http://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/th/reuter/catalysis.html