[Wien] supercomputer

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Sep 21 23:04:32 CEST 2004

> First; I have succeeded in installing the Wien2K on a P4 system with 2.2GHz
> and 1.2GB Ram. However the speed of analysis is not quite enough.

For starting out, this should be a good system.

> Is it possible that wien2K- package work on a supercomputer?.
>
> Supercomputer is Fujitsu VPP5000/80PE system, vector and parallel
> processors.

Yes. WIEN requires Unix (not Linux), f90, a good BLAS (and for finegrain
parallel: MPI, Scalapacks.

However, you have to configure compiler options,... yourself, because most
likely nobody else has access to such a machine.

> Second; how can I calculate the formation energy of Oxygen vacancy in SrTiO3
> bulk. using the Wien2K ?

The same as with every other software: Calculate the total energies of all
participating molecules/atoms/solids (with and without vacancy, probably
with supercells) and take proper E-differences.