[Wien] How to construct struct file of supercell withR type lattice

Peter Blaha pblaha at zeus.theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Sep 30 17:08:35 CEST 2004

> I deal with R type lattice (S.G. No.167 R-3c), and
> I want to build struct file of supercell. But the
> program (x supercell) does not support R type lattice.
> I wonder if somebody could tell me how to construct it.

Usually one wants a supercell with similar dimensions in all three directions
of space. For the rhombohedral lattice, however, a simple multiplication
of the basis vectors produces a very long unit cell, normally not what
you want.

Thus for R lattices I would recommend to convert it to the hexagonal setting
(this is already a supercell 3 times as large as the R settings) and
then go on from this structure.

For the conversion you may need to consult the Int.Tables of Crystallography
and so far you have to make this by hand.