[Wien] about oscilations of scf procedure

Hua Wu wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 18 11:02:01 CEST 2005

I would suppose the oscilation occurs for a metallic solution.
It seems due to the partial occupation of the narrow
Re 4f bands. Firstly, you can try to use a small mixing
parameter like 0.01-0.05 or to increase the k-points.
Another option is to lower the crystal-field symmetry
(e.g, set cubic to orthogonal, but keep the atomic
positions), or to include the spin-orbit coupling which
is normally important for Re,
finally to lift the orbital degeneracy. As a result,
the Hubbard U may help you to find a stable solution
with some orbitals (others) fully occupied (unoccuoied).

On Thursday 18 August 2005 05:02, zhoukj wrote:
> Dear all
>    I'm now using LDA+U do the calculation of rare earth
> oxides. When I put 4f orbital as the correlated orbital,  and
> run scf, I found that the scf procedure oscilates, but it is
> convergent. What's the problem?  Should I add spin-orbit in
> the calculation? How to set it? Thanks a lot.
>

> Sincerely yours,
> Zhou Ke jin

>----
>
>                       Beijing Synchrotron Radiation Facility