[Wien] about oscilations of scf procedure

Hua Wu wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 18 16:33:43 CEST 2005

what type of solution you have got, metallic or insulating?
if metallic, how wide the conduction band is ?
and what is the point-group symmetry seen by the Re ion?
if you just want to remove the oscilation, you may not need
to resort to inclusion of spin-orbit coupling--which is
another issue.

Since the oscilation occurred in your LDA+U calculations,
you firstly need to lower symmetry to allow Hubbard
bands to split, e.g, for a half-filled doublet.
As for SOC, you can pls refer to the manual
(the initso is helpful !!). You may choose the easy-
magnetization direction to be z-axis, ie. (hkl=001),
as you may not calculate the magnetic anisotropy. -- H. Wu

Email: wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Tel: +49-221-4703599
Fax: +49-221-4705178