[Wien] About the occupation number

Hua Wu wu at ph2.uni-koeln.de
Fri Aug 26 17:46:56 CEST 2005

> But when I calculate Dy2O3 which is an insulator, the
Dy2O3.outputst file also tell me that the configuration is [Xe]
4f9 5d1 6s2, and the QTL of the SCF file shows as below:
>  :PCS001: PARTIAL CHARGES SPHERE =  1 S,P,D,F,...
>  :QTL001:       2.1817   6.0839   0.9195   9.1285

Is this output from the initial loops or
last ones after convergence ?

attention should be paid to the self-consistent
(converged) results. If the above results are
already taken after convergence, they may
imply that your calculation was wrong.
in Dy2O3 insulator, Dy is formally 3+.
The (5)d(6)s occupation due to hybridizations
should be much smaller than those shown above.

>  So, I'm confused.Why the 5ds occupation is still 0.9195?
> From my view, Dy2O3 is an insulator, and the 5d and 6s band
> should be empty. I don't know which file can tell us true
> occupation.
>
>   If possible, could you show me which file is true or whether
> we can learn the true occupation number of different orbital
> from wien?
>

> Sincerely yours,
> Zhou Ke jin

>----