[Wien] (no subject)

Gerhard H Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Fri Aug 26 18:45:07 CEST 2005

the Vaxlib is a compatibility library to Fortran used in earlier days on DEC
VAX computers. It contains some special routines that were at that time no
standard in Fortran. Nowadays Intel included those routines in the regular
libraries, so that there is no need to include the Vaxlib anymore, at least
if one follows the handbook they claim to be fully compatible to the old DEC
Fortran (later Compaque, then HP).
I have some old programs that use such subroutines and I did not find any need
to use with ifort 8.1 or 9.0 the -Vaxlib switch for linking anymore.

Ciao
Gerhard

Am Freitag, 26. August 2005 18:14 schrieb liuzw03 at st.lzu.edu.cn:
> Dear Ciao Gerhard,
>
> >Some remark about the compiler and linker options:
> > I think the -Vaxlib is not longer needed for newer versions of the Intel
> > compiler from 8.x upwards (may depend on version of mkl, too).
>
> Could you give me a detail explaination of the meaning of -Vaxlib?
>

> > -pthread should probably be -lpthread, it seems it is needed if one uses
> > processor specific compile options like -tpp7 -xW for PIV optimizations.
-xW
> > performs some loop vectorization, but I did not check if the program
becomes
> > faster, I experienced that some programs are faster if one combines it
with
> > -O2 instead of -O3, the latter may do some over-optimizations.
> >
> Do you mean that if Compiler options was -tpp7 -xW, the Linker Flags
-lpthread
> should be used instead of -pthread?
> Thank you and best wishes.

> Zaiwen Liu
> Key Labortory for Magnetism and Magnetic Materials of the Ministry of
Education