[Wien] Antiferro calculation !!

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 12 13:39:53 CET 2005

I think the reports about AF-Gd are ok, but your calculation is definitely not.

AF and FM solutions should have almost the same energy (within mRy).

While for FM Gd you can use hcp-structure with just ONE non-equivalent site
(with MULT=2), for AFM-Gd you have to split this position into two sites
(with MULT=1)

Furthermore you need to "flip" the spin of the second Gd. In your case.inst
file, this has not been done (see below!!!) P or N has no influence on a
scf calculation. After the modifications to case.inst you need to rerun
lstart (and dstart -p/dn) to get a proper starting density.

:MMT for FM should be around 15, but for AFM it should be exactly ZERO !
:MMI001 and :MMI002 should be identical (and large around 7), but of opposite
sign.

 I want to run antiferro calculation on Gd .Because someone reported the
ground state of Gd is antiferro. After Running antiferro calculation i
attain this results :

 *EnE: -45111*
* Mtot/atom : 0.735*

 But after S.P calculation i found :

 *EnE: -40956*
* Mtot /atom : 7.5*

 The case.inst is in attachment . I think for Gd we can't change the
orientation of 4f-electron because it need to high energy so i flip only
valence electron but yet  Mtot/atom  is very smaller than experimental
result !!!

 Am I right ? Please guide me !

Regard ,

Corrected AF case.inst: