[Wien] fixed spin moment with spin-orbit?

EA Yelland, Physics Edward.Yelland at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 14:23:33 CET 2005

Dear Wien2k Users

I am doing calculations on an unsaturated ferromagnetic system and would
like to be able to see the effect of spin-orbit as a function of exchange
splitting. I have had no problems doing the following calculations (i)
paramagnetic with and without SO, (ii) relaxed spin-polarized with and
without SO, (iii) fixed spin moment without SO. But now I want to do
something that the manual says is not yet supported i.e. add SO to my FSM
result. Can anyone please advise whether there are any tweaks/workarounds
to solve this?

The Fermi levels of spin-up,-dn are different in FSM reflecting the fact
that LDA thinks the moment is not equilibrium. I wonder if it is possible
to use some trick to shift them so that they are the same? I want to
calculate SO for moments that are smaller than the relaxed value.

I would be happy even with a one-off (not self-consistent) calculation.
Another option would be just to calculate splittings of degeneracies at
symmetry points by hand using perturbation theory, but to use Wien2k to
calculate the matrix elements of H_SO but I am not aware that this is
possible.

I am using WIEN2k_05.3 (Release 3/4/2005)

Thanks
Ed Yelland

Edward Yelland
Post-doctoral Research Assistant