AW: [Wien] relativistic quantum number

Gerhard Fecher fecher at uni-mainz.de
Thu Dec 15 17:24:33 CET 2005

The relativistic angular momentum quantum number is defined as (see textbooks on relativistic quantum mechanics):

kappa = (l-j)(2j+1)

as there is only one angular momentum quantum number (kappa) needed to distinguish the solutions of the Dirac equation (and not 3 as suggested by l, s, j). kappa can not be zero ! (Note: in some work the sign of kappa may be reversed !)

The multiplicity of each state is (2j+1) as there are (2j+1) states with different projection m_j = -j,...,+j for each j.

The state with kappa = -1 is the s_(1/2) state with the magnetic quantum numbers m_j=-1/2 and +1/2
The state with kappa = +1 is the p_(1/2) state with the magnetic quantum numbers m_j=-1/2, +1/2
The state with kappa = -2 is the p_(3/2) state with the magnetic quantum numbers m_j=-3/2, -1/2, +1/2, +3/2
and so on ....

You see, there is nothing confusing.

Ciao
Gerhard