[Wien] help on computer for WIEN2k calculation

Torsten Andersen thor at physik.uni-kl.de
Tue Dec 20 11:07:16 CET 2005

Dear Zeming,

with the current state of the art, I believe you should not accept less
than CPU 4 cores per machine. To me it seems that "best bang for the
buck" at the moment is AMD Opteron 280 (or 275) with two of these
dual-core processors per machine (e.g., in the Tyan TX26). If you have
more money and also would like to take advantage of MPI beyond 4
processors, look at the eight-processor IBM p5 550Q.

Best regards,
Torsten Andersen.

Q ZM wrote:
> Dear users,
>     We are planning to buy a new computer for WIEN2K calculation.  Three
> kinds of CPU, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(dual core), Pentium D 830(dual
> core) or double Xeon 2.8G are considered . But we are not sure which one
> is better for WIEN2K. It seems that Intel CPU is better from the
> benchmark on the WIEN2k website. Does dual-core CPU is better than
> double CPU(one core)?
>  We greatly appreciate that somebody can give us some suggestions about
> CPU,memory and so on.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Zeming

Dr. Torsten Andersen        TA-web: http://deep.at/myspace/
AG Hübner, Department of Physics, Kaiserslautern University
http://cmt.physik.uni-kl.de    http://www.physik.uni-kl.de/