[Wien] Re: in1new and AW: Language variables

Martin Kroeker martin at ruby.chemie.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Dec 21 15:16:17 CET 2005

>I would suggest setting "LC_ALL=C" in .bashrc and .cshrc; maybe
>something also for w2web.

Setting LC_NUMERIC=C should be sufficient, i believe. On the other hand,
if this were placed in the shell scripts of the next WIEN2k (ok, there are
something like 50 of them, but most importantly x_lapw), or confined
to the environment that w2web runs in, setting LANG=C or LC_ALL=C would
also be possible.
The .bashrc/.cshrc solutions have the drawback that they influence the
behaviour of all programs run by that particular user, so s/he might lose
some features like localized menu options and messages in other programs.
(I modified one of the SuSE rc scripts to start/stop w2web for me just
like other daemons, and added the locale setting there.)

Martin

Dr. Martin Kroeker            martin at ruby.chemie.uni-freiburg.de
c/o Prof.Dr. Caroline Roehr
Institut fuer Anorganische und Analytische Chemie der Universitaet Freiburg