[Wien] Compiling Wien2k for beginners

Peter Blaha pblaha at theochem.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Dec 31 18:18:29 CET 2005

Thank's for this effort. I'll for sure make a link from the WIEN2k-faq
page to your site.

In particular the compiler/library instrallation should be very helpfull
for the users.

The hints for segmentation faults are of quite general nature and apply
in particular in a "program development" phase. It gives
a little bit the impression that these problems are in the fortran source
code of WIEN2k (which I hope they are not), while I think they are in the
fortran library routines.
Therefore the hint to set all system variables to "unlimited" is vital in
my experience, otherwise larger "cases" will not run in WIEN.

The specific compiler options will still differ from system to system, in
particular 32 or 64 bit operating systems of various Linux flavours may /
may not work with your recommended options/libraries.

Just as example: on my 64 bit RedHat Xeon system I can use -Bstatic for
-lguide, but NOT for -lguide_stats (and the latter library is necessary
ONLY for static lguide).
I also do NOT need   -lsvml (when the compiler is installed properly, the
compiler libraries (all libs in "fc90") should be found automatically,
while the mkl-libs need to be given explicitly by name AND -L/...

I should also mention, that on my systems the timing differences between
static and dynamic linking is (more or less) not visible.

Anyway, many thanks and a happy new year!