[Wien] optimization/minimization

Travis Sefzik tsefzik at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 22 15:39:02 CET 2005

Hello WIEN users,

I was wondering if anybody could confirm that the below steps are
performing the tasks that I desire.

If I would like to perform a force minimization:

	init
	run -fc x   (where x is where I am telling WIEN to converge)
		-- now inspect
	min

the above should provide me with an optimized structure via force
minimization

Alternatively, energy minimization could be achieved as such:

	init
	run -ec x   (where x is where I am telling WIEN to converge)
		-- now inspect
	min

This question has been presented mainly to ask if the energy
minimization through energy convergence follows the same procedure (as
I have become accustomed to thinking about minimization with respect to
energy, not force minimization thus far).  If this is correct that I
can go about minimization with energy convergence, has anybody noticed
any drawbacks to using this approach?

Thank you,
Travis

---